Thursday, October 31, 2013

Runner’s Log #7 – Arrrgh. Injury!




I had been so good.  Carefully increasing my mileage.  Making sure I took rest days.  Trying to balance endurance with strength training.  But this week pushed me over.  I ran my longest distance ever on Saturday – 23.7 miles.  I was tired and sore afterwards, but appropriately so, I thought.  When I ran on Tuesday after 2 days rest, I still felt a little sore in my knees – not the kind of scraping sore I’ve felt in previous years when I would run in the same shoes for two years or on the same side of the road forever.  So I ran through it, albeit at a slower pace.  I think my mistake was running again on Wednesday with my running club.  They wanted to do 10 miles in preparation for their upcoming half marathon, and I thought I could go along at their slower-than-me pace.  But towards the end, I felt some pretty exciting pain, not in my right knee but alongside and behind it.  I was able to finish, but I had some unhappy tendons or muscles. I’m guessing that it could be either the medial collateral ligament or even the popliteus muscle.  




Medial Collateral Ligament

So far as I can tell, I haven’t torn anything, just strained it.  I am hoping that three or four days of rest will enable me to start back gently.  But I may be in complete denial.  At any rate, I’m going to see my doctor tomorrow.  How exciting!  My life has been such that ‘me’ and ‘sports injury’ have never been found in the same sentence.  And while I am hoping that my participation in the race on November 16 is not in jeopardy, I need to face reality that I may have done as much running as I can do for a while.  Even though this would be disappointing, my training has taken me to levels I never dreamed possible.  And nothing or nobody can take that away from me!  But all is just speculation at this point.  Time to see someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to these sorts of issues…


Here are a couple more cartoons that made me laugh: